2023年11月16日星期四

Pieces of Memories

I recently returned from a 19-day journey to a ‘developing’ area in the northwest of the Country. Most places I went to were much better than my expectations, and it might be because of the swift tourist industry development in the whole province. Along the main roads, restaurant foods were tasty, and the cooked rice grains were all in full shape without sand and husks. The shops were abundantly stocked with goods and produce from all parts of the Country. I could even find several brands of ‘moon-cake’ from the city I live in. Of course, most owners of the restaurants and shops spoke the Language with a non-local accent.

I found something odd from the second day onward: though everywhere we went was packed with people, few older people and children were around. I met more of them when the car moved further away from towns or at the far corners of local open markets where you could still buy several small, dusty apples of different sizes with a one-yuan bill. Once, I genuinely felt a touch of humanity when a cheerful squatting woman gave me two large home-made roast vegetables and lamb buns with her dark, coarse hand and took four yuans from me. Then she surprised me as she pulled down one of her long socks, put the money into it, and pulled it up again. What a big personal wallet!

Her shallow smile under the heavily suntanned and wrinkled skin came back to me as I enjoyed the buns as breakfast the next morning. That was the smile of a humble ordinary living person, and it is a precious human relic to me. The buns were delicious but could be better with a bit more lamb. Well, nobody should demand more at such a price. The unguarded sentiment awakened my memories of a visit to a poor mountainous area in a southwest province exactly 20 years ago, and they lingered on for quite some time.

While trying to organize the photos taken on this journey, the same sentiment returned as I looked at a snapshot of a boy and felt disappointed by my poor photography skills. The memories of the journey in 2003 sieved back into my conscious mind. I went through all the photos taken in 2003 to search out those taken during that visit to that mountainous area. It was a hard job for a disorganized person like me.

Finally, I found the photos. I found the faces of the people I met then. I found contentment, surprise, confusion, curiosity, fear, despair, embarrassment and misery on their faces. I recalled some of the conversations I had with a few of them. And, I even re-experienced my frustration, sadness and helplessness while trying to cheer them up. When fear and sadness are the only things a child’s face can say about themselves, it is the saddest thing I can imagine.

20 years have gone by. How are they doing now? Is everyone still around? The boys and girls must be in their mid-twenties. Did they manage to finish their primary and secondary school education? Are they still living in the poor villages in the mountains or in the modern flats of the high-rise buildings? Are they still trying to make a living from the unpromising land or having a decent job in the cities? Has the boy whose parents ran away found some solace in the lonely nights? Is the little boy still living with his mentally ill father and elderly grandma in their shabby mud hut? Is the teenage girl still working in a factory to support her family? I don’t think any of these questions can be answered, but I tend to believe they are all doing well, or at least better than then. 

The confusion, fear, despair and sadness on their faces will be forever in my mind.


 







8 則留言:

  1. 世界真的很大,有時候看見那些山區的小朋友,都會忽然感到自己的痛楚很渺小。

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. 每個孩童的成長經歷都不一樣,有些一帆風順,有些苦樂參半,有些衹有悲哀,往往不由得他們選擇,衹盼望每一個孩子在走過人生這一段路時都找到愛 — 被愛和愛己。

      刪除
  2. 20年過去,相信貧困山區的孩子,都會走出山區,獲得了新的進展,有更好的生活環境了。

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. 但願如此!都是他們應有的機會和份兒。

      刪除
  3. 看到我小時候的影子,不要以為在香港生活便很富裕,五六十年前,我就是在黃大仙某個木屋區長大,生活同樣貧困,但我相信努力可以改善生活,正如現在中國政府努力進行的脫貧運動,透過社會的幫助,自己的努力,也許圖片中的人的生已經得到改善。

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. 雖然山區的發展比市鎮來得遲,我也相信他們的生活應該得到改善,必定不會住在泥建的屋子了!

      刪除
  4. 回覆
    1. 我也祝你新一年開心、健康、自在。

      刪除

Thanks for your sharing...