2022年11月24日星期四

Pictures at an exhibition

I haven’t been to a museum or art gallery for some time. A long time ago, I used to spend a lot of time visiting them, especially during weekdays and those that did not charge you anything for entrance. Free entrance and weekday visits often mean you can spend a lot of undisturbed time with the art pieces you like.

Being a mediocre art appreciator, I am always attached to a limited number of European artists whose works are often “commercialized.” Most of them are not contemporary but thrived in the modern art age. For those modern and contemporary local, Chinese or Oriental artists, I owe them an apology for being apathetic to their hard work. Very often, when there are traces of resemblance to some “great” artists in their works, I judge them as an imitation, or worse, a copy. I must admit I cannot help seeking out those traces whenever I notice the artists’ names are likely to be oriental. This is indeed my problem.

A friend asked me to go visit M+ three weeks ago. I wasn’t too keen, as I thought the entrance fee was expensive and the collection should be ordinary. He told me it was free until the mid-month, so we went on a weekday morning. Well, the building stunned me. It must be extremely costly to build and maintain. We planned to leave before 1:00 pm for lunch, but in the end we left at 4:30 pm with aching legs.

Most of the artworks were local and Chinese, or the artists had connections with the city and the country. My prejudices about these artworks remained unchanged. However, I was quite impressed by a large collection of contemporary artworks by artists in China in the last exhibition hall. There are a lot of references to western modern art in most pieces, but the way they were installed and displayed in the huge halls made them look great and iconic from a distance.

A few days later, I went back to the same museum again on my own. This decision surprised me. This time I spent the whole morning, more than three hours, looking at every single piece of artwork, taking pictures of those that intrigued me, and reading all the words in the curator’s notes in the hall for the Chinese artists. There were only a few visitors, mostly noisy, but they did not stay long after taking some selfies with the pieces they liked. It was an unexpected experience for me. I felt as if the artworks were singing a well-rehearsed song with different parts carefully put together. Instead of searching for more artistic mannerisms or resemblances to other masters, I tried to read their stories underneath the canvases and their feelings mixed with the charcoal and paint. When I left, I said to myself “The collection is a great piece of art!”

I was not connected to the art pieces with my eyes. What an experience!

I leave here parts of the memories and reflections of the artworks I gathered on the second day to remind me of the possibility of seeing things differently.

Tactile Art
The Second State
Fission
X? No. 4
Simulated Suicide Project Relating to "One"
1995.2
Family Tree
Standard Family
Family Theme: Quartet No.2
Eating
1998.12.4
Everybody Connects to Everybody
Mask: Rainbow
Bloodline: Big Family No.17
Rouge 1992
Great Criticism: Chanel
Silence of the Sea
Mao and Red Scarf on Tiananmen 2
Sea
St Thomas
Involvement-the Innocent Marcel 
Interception Underflow in Huixian City
From the Tiger's Mouth
I Graze Horse for My Motherland
The Popsicle Vendor
Bamboo Shoot
Imitating Qi Baishi
Untitled
The Twelfth Month
Chinese Cabbage Three News 500g
We went to look for love
The Good and the Bad
The Distortion of Eroticism - Chapter 13
Welcome the World Famous Brand
Art and Politics
They Recorded for the Future
Piece of Life
BBE July 1997
Sitting on the Wall - Guangzhou
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
20221110_104346




12 則留言:

  1. 另類的藝術,有其時代的意義。非常寫實的「留給未來」,1973年正在文革尾聲,鄉間的表姐,也曾經寄來穿這種服裝的照片,相信今天她們都有不堪回首的感嘆。

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. 歲月就是這樣悄悄地來去,就當今天是最好的一天;留下一些東西給未來,回頭再看,或許可以提醒自己曾經努力活過!

      刪除
  2. 回覆
    1. 藝術品有趣的地方就是能獨動人心,但卻每人不同。

      刪除
  3. 我不太懂藝術,基於何妨一看的心態,有時也會去看一些展覽,知道M+免費進場到11月中結束,本想去看看,結果還是沒有成行。

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. 我都是因為免費才到該處走了一趟,還是一個回港探親的朋友提我才知道,結果在那裡流連了大半天!那博物館很大,地下那層不是正式展覽區,不用購票也可進入。那層的設計已是十分特別和 「大」,一點也不似香港本土的所謂大,喜歡影相的話,齋是該一層連埋館外四周已可以有排影。投資了計不了那麼多億元才建成的設施,吾去睇睇、坐坐,真喺對吾住自己納過的稅!

      刪除
  4. 回覆
    1. 眨眼已是十號了,繼續快樂享受辛苦得來的每一天吧!

      刪除
  5. 祝新年快樂!四季平安 !

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. 對不起,遲回覆了!你也繼續快樂享受每一天!

      刪除
    2. 不要緊 ! 新年新氣象,大家都要好好度過每一天。

      刪除

Thanks for your sharing...