2014年12月23日星期二

A City of Festivals


This land is a city of festivals, festivals of ethnical, cultural, religious, commercial and political origins. Unfortunately, some people just don’t enjoy them and I am a member of this hidden minority.
“Having said that, there’s a festival which still fascinates me.”
“What is it?”
“The Ghost Festival of course!”
“Gee! Morbid!”
“Well, your reaction doesn’t surprise me.”


My early memories started in a bygone area of the city - San Kok Ma Tou (三角碼頭), which literally means Triangle Wharf. What remain in my memory reel are skinny and heavily tanned coolies with big hemp sacks on their shoulders walking on narrow planks that linked barges to the sea front, big brown cockroaches cruising hastily on the tip of their six pointed legs around the openings of the sewage pipes near a hole through which I could see the moon at night time, a neighbour with sunken eyes above his protruding cheeks sucking with a match box the smoke from a big drop of moving liquid on a tinfoil that he kept moving above a burning candle, my mother carrying up water from the street in two metal tanks hanging on the ends of a beam, my father pushing us down the steep dark narrow staircase as the metal sheets of our squatter’s roof shrieked and pounded against each other before they were ripped away by a storm, and me running around the rooftop trying to escape the swaying cane in my mum’s hand – she always cried after she got her job done.

All these memories are black and white because life had few colours in those days except two weeks in every summer. I learned that it was called Yu Lan Jie several years after we had moved out of the area. Before that my parents always called it the Ghost Festival but forbade us to mention it at home lest ghosts would come and stay with us. Well, I didn’t think we had any more room for a ghost to have a lie-down though. Those two weeks were the best time of the year and was my only exciting childhood experience of a festival.
“That can’t be possible! It’s the only festival? How about the Lunar New Year and the Mid-Autumn Festival?”
“They only became festivals years later! But then, I was no more a kid.”
“Huh?”
“Well, I didn’t have any proper Lai See until the first year I received monthly salary; the mooncakes with egg yolks were always given to other people we did not know or like. So, they were never great festivals to me.”



Ghost Festival was colourful and musical to me then. The streets were converted into a massive carnival. Colourful shrines with gigantic effigies of fearful and awesome demigods, deities and legendary figures were erected along both sides of the streets. Ritual objects, utensils and plates of food offerings in red, yellow and white filled up the top of decorated altars in front of these giants and racks of paper made objects clustered around the interior of the shrines. Some of the bigger giants had three huge incense sticks planted in a metal urn in front of them. These mega incense sticks were like ten feet long and six inches wide and were decorated with dragons, phoenixes and figurative reliefs and they kept burning for days. All these were like great works of art that could easily fill up an exhibition hall in the British Museum. I loved watching them although I was so frightened and believed that some of those hellish figures with bulging eyes and long pointed fangs would creep up my bed if I felt asleep.



There wasn’t anything called television at that time but in that fortnight we had free operatic shows that staged in a huge hall constructed of bamboo. They were proper operas with beautifully dressed actors and a live band of traditional musical instruments. I could not understand a single word of the songs, not because of the loud and shrieking accompaniment music but the language. Mum told me it was the dialect she and dad spoke but I wondered if she was telling me the truth. She was, of course! It is a shame that I still cannot understand the lyrics. However, even now I am not interested in learning what the black-cloaked priests were chanting about in a temple, which was heavily decorated with all sorts of paintings and embroidered banners, draperies and sunshades.


The most exciting part of the festival was the incendiary activities throughout the fortnight. Candles and incense sticks were lit nearly day and night; paper objects, mostly clothes, daily household furniture and folded origami, supposed to be golden nuggets, were burnt like mountains of flame everywhere in open air. It was both delightful and treacherous to fool around in these burning sprees. I once got caned by my father who was also swearing in the dialect I was supposed to speak after he caught me picking up silver paper coins near a burning hill of paper objects and nearly got my hands burnt. I cried and I understood every single word he swore at me then! That was why I could not join the others to scramble for the 5 cent coins people threw into the fire on the last day of the fiesta.


 On the 15th day of the 7th month of that festival, we would have once in a year food that could feed the whole family for a week to eat as we liked. Before we could lay our fingers on them, they were displayed all over the ground outside our squatter. Thus, we had to stay in the only double decked bed in the squatter to avoid kicking the dishes over when our parents prepared and carried out the ceremony. My father would borrow money, more than often, to make sure the ghosts were satisfied with the amount and variety of food they prepared.

After we moved to a public housing estate, I found the Ghost Festival became increasingly intolerable as my parents tried to preserve their rituals; the scale and manner of the ceremony. It became an annoying activity after I moved to study in a secondary school that taught Bible as a subject and the family was often in debt around this festival. “Why still making such a display when you’re borrowing money from others!” I once grumbled and my father grunted, “Shout up your foul big mouth!”  I tried my best to avoid helping out or joining their ceremony and hardly joined the family evening feast on that day after I started working.
Decades have gone and I know my father still keeps the tradition going on but now the scale of the ceremony is much smaller and he cannot bend his knees to the ground either. In the past ten years, a voice in my heart kept calling me to visit a site for the Ghost Festival celebration whenever the bus taking me to my parents’ home stopped by it in the 7th lunar month.

“Go in there for a stroll, you liked it before and it’s still fascinating.”
“I can’t afford the time and I’m a stranger to those in the ground,” I tried to silence the voice but the memories of my childhood Ghost Festival disagreed.
“Maybe some other time.” I told myself.

Saturday evening, the 8th of August this year, I took a bus home after visiting my parents and saw several young ladies burning paper offerings at the curb as I got off the bus for the train. On the other side of the road were two big red floral sign boards of the Ghost Festival ceremony and they reminded me what was going on in the park behind the buildings. I checked the watch and it was a quarter to nine and convinced myself that it would not take much time to have a quick look and everything in there would come down the next day afternoon as it was already the 14th day of the 7th lunar month.


Several middle aged folks examined me from head to toe as I gingerly walked through the entrance to the venue. They did not ask for an admission ticket or interrogate me for the reasons I came but they gave me a what-is-he-doing-here look that made me feel I was not expected here.

The ground was smaller than I expected and was empty at the centre because visitors or worshippers were scarce. The colours, scents and sounds in this temporary world seemed familiar but distant and cold even in this hot summer evening. Several shrines half-circled two sides of the rectangular venue, which was a football field in other days. They were much smaller than those in my memory and they looked shabby and cheap. Apart from a silly red horse I could not find other familiar effigies of demigods or generals from the other worlds. I wondered if they were taking vacations in some cooler countries or they thought they had no place or say in this city of not-believe. There were no burning of paper offerings and the shrunken mega incense sticks were not burning either. Was it because of practice economy, environmental protection restrictions or the ghosts were too rich these days that they did not want more? I thought.




A stage and a temple took up the other two sides of the ground. The black-cloaked priests still chanted the same way but stopped occasionally to beckon worshippers to come forward but there were few. The stage was made of bamboo but was flooded with theatre lights. The actors still sang in the dialect I could not understand. Never mind, mum told me that the operas were for the ghosts, so probably I will understand the songs in the future. Their costumes and acting were more artistic, sophisticated and refined now. I liked them then and I like them now but I must admit that I was judging and measuring the jewels on their hair sets, the embroideries on their costumes and the make-up on their faces instead of appreciating the performance as an art or a ceremonial centrepiece.




I hanged around the stage for a while and an uncontrollable sadness started simmering between my eyes. Apart from a few kids, a couple of tourists and several photographers who were seeking opportunities for their salon-class master pieces, most of the audience were older than me or at least I believed. They must be in their seventies, eighties or even nineties and some seemed to have made a great effort to come seeing the operas that were for the ghosts.



Suddenly, I felt as if my parents had been there. But, of course that was impossible as my mum cannot make the journey to go there even in a wheelchair and my father never likes operas. Some old folks took distant seats or stood afar from the stage as if they were not connected to the ghostly activity but their eyes seemed to have frozen in space and time with deep sorrow and anticipation. My old man would have done that if he were there, I am sure.




I was puzzled and troubled. Were they deeply absorbed by the acting or were they taken to a psychic world only they would know? Were they listening to the singing or were they hearing the unspeakable words of their own? Were they enjoying the operas or were they trying to make sense of what went before that evening in their life? Were they giving thanks to the ghosts who listened to their prayers and kept their families well or were they moaning or even mourning for the loss or non-occurrence of love and laughter in the years they had lived? Were they wishing the best for their sons and daughters; grandsons and grand-daughters or were they asking themselves why their sons and daughters never understood their love for them? Were they following the beats of the music or were they counting their days? These thoughts lingered on for the rest of my journey home.




Now that the request of the voice is fulfilled, I finally understand why my father always borrowed money to perform his tradition in Augusts, why we were forbidden to talk about Ghost Festival at home, why we did not have moon cakes with egg yolks, why we did not have Lai See with real money and why my parents still insist on practising the ceremony even though they are physically incapable now. I can now appreciate that the five of us always had new books when the new school started in Septembers, that the moon cakes with egg yolks were gifts for our granduncle and my father’s friends from whom he borrowed money year after year until we finished school, that we all had new pyjamas on Lunar New Year Eve, that they did all these to the ghosts to keep the family well and blessed.




59 則留言:

  1. This brings back my faded childhood memories. Once a year, there would be 神功戲 and it would last for a week, or was it two weeks? Can't remember. There was a performance during day time and then another one at night. Tickets had to be bought in sets and you would have access to all the shows. My parents always bought 2 sets. I can't remember if the event was held on 盂蘭節. However, I can remember that the first show was always meant to be for the "ghosts".

    As kids, we were, of course, not that much into those Chinese Opera and could never sit thru a whole show. We would enjoy looking at all those colorful swords, lanterns, and things like that sold by the vendors. If we got lucky, father would buy us a windmill, a sword or something .....

    Father passed away 40 years ago and even mother is not around anymore. Otherwise, I would definitely pick up the phone to call mother to ask her about this to find out answers to questions that I have. She passed 4 yrs ago while we were having a severe snow storm over here..... In these few years, whenever it snows, I always have the urge to call her to tell her how heavily it's snowing. Since I can't call her anymore, I would mumble to myself .... it's snowing again, mother.

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. Hi Crystal,
      Thank you for sharing your childhood memories of the festival here as well. Sometimes, memories can be a tricky thing - one does not know their existing for years but they can just reappear from nowhere, bringing back with them the affections and emotions we shared with others.
      Sorry that the writing brought back your memories of your parents. My mum is loosing her memories now, the recent ones, so she can still tell us the details of these old stuff. It's so good to listen to her because these little pieces of memories are what I was made of.
      Wish you a peaceful and merry Christmas.

      刪除
  2. Thanks for sharing your some diary of your childhood and about the Yu Lan Ghost Festival. It is new and so insterst to me, although I am an aged people now. I never see those things or old fashion drama, etc that in front of me. Your photos show that all documentalry, at least, bringing some moire memory about this from the TV news and newspaper. So happy to know you had found all your queries about your childhood!

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. Thank you YKK and I am glad that you enjoy the story here. The area I used to live in when I was a child had a very large population of Chiu Chou people, so the ceremonies were particularly big! It was an important festival for these people, so the celebration was exceptionally great. I think things have changed a lot now and only the older people are serious about the festival.
      By the way, wish you a merry Christmas.

      刪除
  3. 盂蘭節的神功戲很熱鬧!又見潮汕劇開鑼。二胡聽來如泣如訴!

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. 多謝到訪,二胡聲音真的令人有一種淒怨的感覺,是中樂中我較喜歡的聲音。

      刪除
    2. 以前有學過古箏,現在那個由一方上乘梧桐木製作過來的古箏,已經荒置很久了。看來是重新學藝的時候了。希望這願望能夠達成吧。

      刪除
    3. 那太好了,你懂彈古箏!我一樣樂器也不懂呢!很想學懂一種也好。曾學過,但我的雙手和眼永遠不能協調得好,就連中英文打字也不能掌握呢!祝你今年這願望成真。

      刪除
    4. 不打字,也可以用手寫板。不過,聽說手寫板是會耗損的。久不久就要再買,比較花錢。但這個方便了很多人。
      想起教古箏的林老師,他曾經讓我參觀幾方小型的古箏,可惜當時不及買下來。
      據老師說彈琵琶是很疲勞的,所以我沒有學琵琶。

      刪除
  4. I still have a real good memory about this kind of festival.........cause I live in NT . The only thing I appreciated------- picked up money coin from the ground when they ( family ) scattered all over after worshipping the ghost? I heard the elder said those money are for the ghost which they can buy food in Hell? BY the way, it's scary for the kids nowadays ?Merry X'mas to you .

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. Hello Uncledan,
      Long time no see. Thanks for your visit and your personal sharing of the festival as well. I think the younger generations have no interest in this old and dark festival these days. Despite the scariness of the festival, I think it has a lot of good meanings and intentions behind it.
      I wish you a merry Christmas and a wonderful new year ahead.

      刪除
  5. Dear Grave l... I am glad to know you had found all your queries about your childhood! 盂蘭節, 神功戲 the celebration was exceptionally great. photos show that all documentalry,It was an important festival for these at least, It was an important festival for people, these bringing some moire memory about this from the TV news and newspaper. By the way, wish you and your Family a merry Christmas and Happy Year ! All the Best !!

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. Thanks Josephine. Yes but it takes a long time! The older generations usually keep their feeling to themselves and would not put them into words. They show those feelings through their actions but are often misunderstood by the younger ones!
      I wish you a happy Christmas here again.

      刪除
  6. 不喜歡這個節日 , 怪怪的呢 !!

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. 不錯呀,這個節日確是怪怪地的。當年情況比現在更加跨張呢!
      A merry Christmas to you.

      刪除
    2. 沒有什麼機會接觸這個節日.

      刪除
    3. 這節日都應衹屬老一輩的了!

      刪除
  7. 回覆
    1. Janejane 也祝你聖誕快樂,新年進步。

      刪除
  8. 這編孟蘭節內容很感性、在下也從中找回一此失去了的童年回億。謝謝分享。祝聖誕快樂、新年進步。

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. 多謝Louis Rick 到訪。很開心你喜歡這篇文章,從你的文章想你也是情性中人。也祝你聖誕快樂、新年進步。

      刪除
  9. I haven't got the faintest idea why ghosts need to have "Chinese opera" performed for them by the living . For me, the only thing of interest in the "Ghost Festival" was when after people had burned offerings for the "ghosts" in the street below, they started to sprinkle Chinese wine and rice on the ground. That would be the prelude to throwing a few coins on the ground. Like other waiting children, I would make a dash for the coins which would be sufficient to buy me some peanuts or a popsicle. That's when I first learned that you could have something for nothing! Thanks for sharing your vivid description of the festival, your photos and your memories.

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. Hi El Zorro,
      I haven't got the answers to your puzzle either. I guess all these ceremonial activities and rituals have their own cultural and philosophical roots of the older generations. Thanks for reminding me of the coins throwing part which I have edited out (but I have added it back.). We might be too poor at that time that my parents would rather save those for us. They did throw real coins in later years when we were not that tight in cash.

      刪除
  10. 中國傳統習俗 , 逐步逐步消散殆盡 , 受到西方節日及消費主義影響!

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. 對呀,以前經常說香港是個中西交化交流的大溶爐,但我認為現在似乎是韓日西風的世界了。

      刪除
  11. 香港是中西文化交流地,然而新一代已經漸漸被西方文化所同化,他們認識萬聖節比盂蘭節要多呢....
    很喜歡這首二胡音樂"二泉映月",謝謝分享!

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. 那麼西方的鬼怪比這裡地道的鬼幸福得多了!都在乎是否有商業價值而矣。
      開心你喜歡這首音樂。
      新一星期快樂。

      刪除
  12. Hi! Gravel...Long time no see.....我是潮州人,所以童年時對這節日特別深刻,可能又剛好是暑假期間,於是當年竟會有所期待,而且還會喜歡看那些潮州戲添......。但!...如今卻一點感覺也沒有了,甚至懷舊一番的意念也沒有了.....。人的轉變真大.....hahaha......。
    您最後的一段分享也觸動了我,我們的上一代總是簡簡單單,要的就只是為下一代祈福,求鬼神給兒孫們庇護.....。

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. Hi! 翔流,真是頗久沒有發文,這篇是八月尾開了頭幾行便停了下來,跟著種種的事又發生,工作又確實忙了一點 - 人事多多,停了下來便像失去了動力...就更好像與blog 友失去了一種關聯,更提不起筆。當然,其間還有到訪各位,祇是提不起勁留字。
      上一代的潮州男人常被人冠以潮州怒漢,但我卻認識了不少心思細密、體貼溫柔和感情豐富的潮州大男子,你似乎也是這樣呢...hahaha....
      人會大,人會變,有時變得令自己也不會相信。很少東西真的會一生不變,我很好彩或不好彩有一對幾十年都變得很少的父母 - 除了他們的健康。
      這節日我當然不會慶祝甚麼,但每到節期,總是憶起當年的人、情、事和物。

      刪除
  13. The music playing, 二泉映月, is one of my favourite pieces of music.
    And the Ghost Festival is one of my favourite Festivals, too.
    I really enjoy your blog.

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. Hi ! 百了,
      Thanks! I really glad you like the music and find the blog enjoyable. I find an original recording of this music played by the composer of this piece of music (阿炳) in youtube - very old recording and the quality is not very good but he played it very very very beautifully. I am not very much into Chinese music or music at all but also find it comforting and sentimental.
      I bet the festival is one of your favourites. Are the practices and rituals performed in this festival related to what you are practicing?

      刪除
  14. Hi Gravel,
    Hope you had a joyful and peaceful Christmas!
    As usual, I enjoy reading your blog. It gives me a sense of connection... young and old, modern and tradition, life and death, etc. Bravo!!!

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. Many thanks 小猴!
      I'm really glad that you like this blog.
      Will be the last day of 2014 in a few hours, I wish a wonderful and healthy 2015.

      刪除
  15. Gravel Yau 下午好,
    祝新年快樂!身體健康!

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. 華娃兄你也好,
      觀日出回家了嗎?
      你也新年快樂!身體健康! 輪騁萬里!

      刪除
  16. 老實說,你這篇我得一看再看, 原因是聽着這曲我就跟着失神遊走,無法集中.二泉影月我真不敢隨便聽的.
    神功戲的照片拍得很入神. 我有一次當拿著相機準備拍攝燒衣紙的火時,有幾位理事的人立即勸/制止我,叫我影別的, 其他紙紮公仔又大又面目猙獰,自始便不敢了.

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. 多謝執兄賞面,我本身不太懂音樂,當日開始寫文時無意在網上聽到這首曲調,一聽便鍾情了,愈聽愈被迷著,曲中有數不盡淒美的音符,牽動種種的思緒,索性把它加進這文中。素知你是拉弓二胡箇中能個,當然一聽首節便認得這音樂,令你失神遊走真不好意思。
      祝你週末愉快。

      刪除
  17. 回覆
    1. Peter 很多謝你深情的分享,其中也有不少也是我所經歷過,閱後也引起很多的思緒。對不起這次令你這麼麻煩,花了不少時間和心機,請不用再花你的精神重貼,我從電郵中可隨時重溫你的分享,衹可惜這真摯的憶述未能與其他文友分享。唯一可能是blogger對回應可能有字數限制,令回應不能上載卜上,但無論如何都很高與得對你的分享。這已是第二次回覆,請勿介意。
      很喜歡這兩句:留有用之身, 百事可為!
      祝週日愉快、閑逸。

      刪除
    2. 抱歉我早前的回應未能上傳, 如你所說, 可能文字太多而被拒登吧.
      我再試一次將舊回應分兩段上傳, 如仍不能顯示, 那就算了. 祝好!

      刪除
  18. (Part one)
    閱畢你的長文, 百感交集, 也帶回我兒時的甘苦回憶。你描述的童年跟我的十分相似(或許我的更苦)。小時候住在九龍城寨貧民窟, 父親失業, 家中十口食指浩繁, 一度家無隔日之糧, 得靠典當或借貸度日。有時候還得到士多拿賣剩的枕頭包蒸熱捲上豆芽菜當晚餐。屋子小得可憐, 碌架床不夠用, 我只能每晚打開帆布床睡覺, 過着朝拆晚開的日子(多年來設臨時睡床的手勢練得十分純熟)。下課後便窩在狹窄的騎樓做功課。 晚上還得搬馬桶到街上讓夜香婦清潔, 翌日再搬回家中。當年趕人家一樣去信教, 主要還是去領救濟品(奶粉、米、油), 每次領回救濟品心情便好像中了六合彩。 還記得有一次母親給我用領回來的一條女裝裙子改製一件上衣, 讓我樂了大半天。 節日對我來說只是羨慕他人的日子, "利是"要上交父母, 留下五毛錢便如獲至寶, 分斗零用可以用上一段時間, 看今天小孩子人人手機在手, 真是天壤之別。暑假對我來說不是假期, 而是賺錢時刻, 個多月的假期便在塑膠廠當雜工渡過(晚上還得去替人補習)。小小年紀便負上幫補家計的重担。由於生活的艱難, 知道人間疾苦, 也養成我一點力求上進和悲天憫人的性格。

    回覆刪除
  19. (Part two)
    說到盂蘭節, 我當年何嘗不是每年渴望它的來臨。一到那天, 吃完晚飯便上街混在街童當中圍在燒衣紙火堆旁一起呼叫: "燒衣唔撒錢, 今晚俾鬼鍊(扼), 鍊到十二點。" 然後一擁而上搶着撿拾斗零, 撿得多接着幾天的零用錢又有着落了。有一次搶錢後奔走不小心掉下坑渠, 弄得一身污泥, 回家遭父親用藤條打了一頓。
    當年空地多, 盂蘭節時社團多在空曠地方搭戲棚演神功戲。我跟鄰家的野孩子們傍晚時份總喜歡到戲棚架下玩捉迷藏, 天黑才肯回家。後來聽大人說戲棚多野鬼游魂, 尤其是吊頸鬼, 之後便不敢去了。

    回覆刪除
  20. (Part three)
    我是海豐人(鄰近潮州), 跟潮州人的語系和好勇鬥狠的性格有點相似。早年海豐人和潮州人都不太被人看得起, 多被人譏為"碼頭咕哩"(苦力)。現在的觀感已經跟時代變了。 艱苦的童年並不代表沒有翻身的日子, 只要心懷上進, 自我勉勵, 不要自憐, 知足常樂, 愛己愛人, 好日子自然會來的。
    順祝節日快樂, 身體健康。留有用之身, 百事可為!

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. 偶爾來看到Yau sir 這一篇超長的留言, 細述童年苦況, 真是多年來難得一見。我們都是年長的一輩, 在聽了這麼一闋淒涼悲調的二胡弦樂之後,想起往昔的苦澀日子,自必低迴無限,情何以堪?

      刪除
    2. Peter 兄,
      I read your sharing time after time and each time I can see vividly in my mind the way you fetched your folding bed, opened it and let your body sink into the middle of it, of course after other members of your brothers and sisters retired to the bunk bed; the cheeky smile on your face as you chanted along with other kids and waited for the coins being thrown into the air, and the filth on your hands and face as you ran around in a factory and...
      I would say I was lucky to have most of these experiences in my early years and survived like you and many others. I am glad that I have learned to live with very little and expect little from others and myself. Achieved a lot in the society I have not but I have a shelter, a reasonably sound mind (marginally!) and a regular monthly salary. Sorry for my childhood I am not, but for my parents who gave so much to us without a lot of rewards. I can’t imagine you are 好勇鬥狠,but 力求上進 yes and definitely 悲天憫人!Aren’t they a good mix and match?! Unfortunately, I only have emotionality and don’t know where I inherited that from but I can live with it now.
      I posted this blog not trying to make it an anti-climax for a festive season or to submerge myself in the sadness of the past but to redefine and reconfirm my present and to honour my parents (the process was hard though). Thanks for your kind encouragement. It’s always enjoyable and feeling so real conversing with you in this virtual world. Hope you are gradually recovering from your losses though it must be very hard. Have a great day.

      刪除
  21. Hi, Gravel, good evening. I took a glance at your writing before left for Mid-Mass last Christmas Eve. Then on the way to Church, I wondered why you posted the writing of the Ghost Festival earlier than the Jesus is born, half smiled.

    Frankly, I have a great hate of the Yu Lan Jie on account of an unlucky day. When I was five, my Mom went along with me to see her elder sister who lived in Po Yee Street after supper. Returned home, I saw women burning something in the street but I didn’t understand what their action was ? I also found a lot of tiny balls lying on the ground when I picked up a piece of ball and asked Mom who told me to put it down at once and didn’t touch everything in the street. At Mid-night, I had a high fever suddenly. The aftereffects of fever heart, I couldn’t walk for many years and my family seldom mentioned the Festival since then. Do you think which a superstition is ?

    Since I was born, I had been living at Sheung Wan until my Mom passed away, I moved out the District. I heard The Triangle Wharf but haven’t been there. It’s silly of me, I don’t know the traditional Ghost Festival any more until I read your writing & your learned brother Peter Yau’s sharing, I change my mind now and I’m going to visit the Festival in the coming Lunar July but I’m not certain the direction. Is it next to the Sun Yat Sen Memorial Park ?

    I’m sorry to waste your time on reading my bygone childhood. Finally, I would like to say that you’ll never understand the operas singing because you won’t be a Ghost, you’re an Angel in the future.

    Have a nice day & sweet night !

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. Hi Joyce, I'm really sorry that the writing brings back so many old memories of yours. From your experience after that evening, I am not surprised that you hate that festival so much. I don't think avoiding mentioning of that festival after that evening is superstition. It is just a way your mother and probably the whole family tried to cope with the hard time you and your family going through after you had the illness and could not walk afterwards. We don't want to live in pain and memories of misfortune, do we? And, we don't need to be reminded of them again and again, so the best thing to do is not to talk about them and carry on living with what we have. And see, you ran the 10 kilometres last year! Not many people can do that, and I’m definitely one of those who can’t.
      I wrote this piece not to promote this festival as it has a lot of superstition in it but to express some of the thoughts and feelings about it. Those images I mentioned are some of the most remembered things in my memories. They also remind me of what my parents had given me that make me what I am today.
      The Triangle Wharf is gone with the reclamation of the sea and it was just at the corner where the tram line turns right to the Central direction. I think there is celebration of the festival in now Sun Yat Sen Memorial Park but I haven’t been there before. The one I mentioned here was at Jordan Road.
      I think our childhood memories are the most precious things we have. When one gets older and loses his memories, these are the things last to lose, to remind him he has lived a life.
      Wish you get better and better soon.
      Have a great and joyful new week.

      刪除
  22. Your writing brought me to the past unforgetable memory in my childhood. Like many other people, I was born in a very poor family too. What a big family- grandmother, parents with ten siblings! Although we needed to struggle for a living every day, it taught us many things. We learnt to be more tough, patience, hardworking, persistency& resilience etc., I really appreciate those people at that time. They were very tough guys. In fact, I was frightened during the ghost festival. But I thanked for one of the neighbor who always bought me an ice-cream and took me to attend the opera. It was a happy time to me. The music you chose here is touching and it seemed that there are many miserable untold stories behind it. May I send you blessings in advance. Wish you have a good Sheep year in 2015.

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. Thank for your sharing and I’m sorry that the writing brings out some of your “sad” memories. Tough time and scarcity of the essentials can be intolerable but can also bring out the best of the persons. I guess quite many people in those days had similar experiences. Looking back I guess one did learn something, whether it is contentment, resilience, hardworking or compassion. And, interestingly these are the memories that keep linger on even though one gets forgetful as he gets old or even demented.
      Isn’t it amazing that a couple could raise a family of 10, 11, 12 or even 13 kids in those days!
      The music is a very popular and famous erhu piece. I don't know if it is about sad stories but it was composed by a blind man with a miserable life.
      Thank you for the advance blessing.
      Have a great new week.

      刪除
  23. 嘿,Gravel 兄台雅鑒:大年初一,向你拜年:
    祝身心康泰!羊年順景!心想事成!步步高陞!恭喜發財!財源滾滾來!

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. 蒲公英,多謝你的祝福。
      我也祝你羊年喜氣洋洋,凡事心想事成,全年身心康泰,日日平安快樂,時時滿有盼望。

      刪除
  24. Wish you the best of the New Year ! Gravel ! ♪───O(≧∇≦)O────♪

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. Hi Autumn,
      Thanks for your blessings.
      I wish you a wonderful year full of energy, joy, peace and happiness too.

      刪除
  25. 向 Dear Gravel 拜年: 祝福: 闔府歡樂滿堂, 身體健康, 心想事成!如意吉祥!

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. 多謝Josephine的祝福,也祝你滿心喜樂,如意吉祥!
      真對不起!仍未有空和feel去發新卜文,新春期間還要聽這令人傷感的調子。
      預祝週末美好。

      刪除
  26. 三羊啟泰, 新春蒞臨, 把愁緒拋開, 迎來喜氣! 祝闔府安泰!歲歲平安!

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. 多謝阿姨的祝福,我也祝你一天比一天好,身體健康,如意吉祥!
      預祝週末美好。

      刪除
  27. Hi Gravel~
    新年快樂!祝願你踏入羊年事事順意!時刻健康快樂!^^
    Kanis 返港過年很忙很忙,加上狀態麻麻,到現在才有精神跟大家問好。
    遲了一點點,不要介意呢!但願你與家人同渡一個稱心美麗的喜洋洋春節!ヾ(●´▽`●)ノ

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. Kanis,
      很多謝你的祝福。原來你在外國進修營養課程,難怪乎你的blog文這麼多健康又易做的美食介紹,畢業後即可出書啦!
      我也祝你羊年喜氣洋洋,身體健康,心想事成,學業猛進!

      刪除

Thanks for your sharing...