2021年10月14日星期四

A day in Seoul

 2019 was a difficult year.

It was a difficult year for me too.

Indeed, it was a difficult year for everyone on the surface of this planet; it epitomized human alienation.

Those who know me do not quite believe I am not a sociable person; at least this is how I think. Many believe social togetherness is important and unavoidable, vital for the sustenance of a team, a community, a country or even a species.

After one whole exhaustive and sorrowful year, I decided to take a few days off to Seoul on my own. I bet I might have upset some people, but I needed that break, not for any purposes; just a break from the continuation of life at that moment. That was the first solo journey for more than twenty years.

Why Seoul? I don’t think there was any particular reason then, probably because of the most bargain flights and hotel available when I went through Skyscanner. In fact, it was not a pleasant time to visit the city. The weather was bad and made up of rain, lightning, snow, sleet, gusty wind, occasional sunshine and sub-zero temperatures in those few days. I guess if you are into K-pop or Korean wave, it is a good destination for shopping in summer time, but not for me.

When I finally settled down in a 2-star hotel room at 10pm after roaming around in the interchange of the train and subway stations for nearly an hour and failing to get any assistance for directions from more than 10 passengers, I started to worry about the coming few days. However, thinking back after the trip, the suspicion that the locals preferred not to be bothered actually made my journey even more enjoyable. I merely had to trust Google map. But still, my poor sense of direction did fail me several times.

My 4-year old compact Canon remained my faithful companion but the new Samsung smartphone betrayed me, so I did not have any in focus selfies for the whole journey. That was the only disappointment. Now looking at the photos of the second day of the trip again, I realized I had enjoyed the solitude I yearned for and the silent connection with the people on that twenty-third day of March.

When is my turn?
Mum, there aren't many people here. Sweetie, we'll have fun.
The couple possibly appreciating the photo I took for them...
returned me with a smile when we met again.
Hey! This is good. Stand there.
Don't be shy! Give me a pose.
What takes you so long? Someone's behind you. Never mind that.
What's bothering you, my dear?
Nothing. This is a good spot. Ready?
Hey! You look so serious!
What a matching couple!
It's on his face - Be careful! I'm watching you -
and on hers too.
Guess I'm not alone. There's another lone traveler.
Is solitude necessarily equal being alone?
I reckon you're proud of your sweet potato and rice wine. Well, just want to earn a living.
A rare scene in a westernized Asian metropolis ...
I would buy something from you because of your smile.
The most beautifully cloaked earth conservationist!
Three generations of an Indian family in Korean ethnic clothes - Forget we are tourists.
Don't worry! We are only taking pictures and I'm using a smartphone.
No wonder she was Pro-Woman.
Such an admirable guy to take up this challenging job!
So sorry she was mocked.
Kid, you're your mum's best friend today!
Put your hands down! You're attracting their attention.
Are you sure anyone will stop to listen in the middle of the main road?
Three lonely souls in this quiet alley... 
I was sick after that cold chili salad! Anyway, she didn't yell and the seat had heating.
The way she counted the money was fascinating.
A woman with great pride! No need to cover up!
I believe multi-tasking skill is her biggest asset.
Unity is theirs.
Candy bars as pillow, wonder if she's having a sweet dream?
This one is good for your pain. You can read the leaflet inside the box. Trust me.

Is social togetherness important, unavoidable and vital? I am not too sure. Any answers can be confusing and controversial when someone lives in an overcrowded city where physical, social and personal space seldom exists for the person or comes with a costly price tag. Very often you are compelled to stay together. I tend to believe there is no convincing answer and enjoy the way I try to connect with people - part of it is through my loyal compact camera.

I am glad to make that journey to Seoul, even though the weather was disappointing. Just don’t know when the next one comes. Hope it is soon. But who knows.





4 則留言:

  1. 今天來看到你在2019年去首爾拍回來照片,看來有點幸運。
    我也喜歡看有人物的街景,人生百態,多姿多彩。不過我自己卻不大敢對著路人拍照。
    近況如何?工作順利嗎? 

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. 想不到韓國首都,也有老者推著一車的紙皮。
      聽說韓國的老人很多,而且生活用度不夠,會各自出招去搵錢。

      刪除

Thanks for your sharing...